Even though being a ‘Royal’ comes with tons of privileges and a fancy lifestyle, it’s not what every soul desires.
Sometimes people are more accustomed to normalcy than the glitzy royal life, and this separates them from the rest of the world. Carrying this quality in abundance is Meghan Markle and her husband, Prince Harry.
It’s been more than a year since Meghan and Harry abdicated the royal titles and left Buckingham palace to settle in Southern California. Since their move, they’ve maintained a private life away from the press and media. However, with Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview on March 7, 2021, fans of the couple got a quick look inside Meghan and Harry’s new Californian lifestyle.
Here are a few glimpses of the interview.
Read – Will Meghan run for presidency in 2024?
A sneak peek inside the Sussexes’ lifestyle
Even after residing in Montecito themselves, the couple and Winfrey used a neighbor’s house for recording the sitting portions of the interview. While the camera was capturing their conversation, they invited Winfrey to take a quick look at their backyard, which included a rather interesting chicken coop!
With huge smiles on their faces, Harry and Meghan revealed that the coop was named Archie’s Chick Inn, after their 22-month-old son Archie Harrison.
As they fed the hens and chickens, Harry told Winfrey that Meghan wanted to keep chickens for a long time, and the couple could finally make it possible when they rescued them from a factory farm recently. Agreeing with Harry’s statements, Meghan admitted that she loved rescuing animals.
Further down the line, when Winfrey asked Meghan to describe her Californian lifestyle in one word, ‘peace’ was the only thing Meghan could think of. She explained that the best thing about living in California was that she could live an authentic life. The fact that everything was so simple yet fulfilling amazed her.
FYI, the couple moved into the Montecito compound in July 2020. The property sits over 7.5 acres of land, while the Mediterranean-style home covers an 18,761 sq. ft. area. Originally listed at $14.65 million, the house consists of the main house and a guest house. Spread over the main building and the guest house are nine bedrooms and sixteen bathrooms with outdoor amenities like a teahouse, swimming pool, and a tennis court.
Read – What does Michelle Obama say about Meghan’s rift with family?
Harry & Meghan’s new sources of income
Apart from the other things discussed on Winfrey’s show was the couple’s income. While stepping down from royal duties, they’d announced that they would work to become financially independent. Their joint income includes Meghan’s earnings from her acting days and Harry’s wealth, which he inherited from his late mother, Princess Diana.
According to reports, Princess Diana had left a £13m fortune for her sons William and Harry. Moreover, the couple earns quite a large sum of money from their collaboration with streaming services Netflix and Spotify.
Notably, when they were still working as royals, 95% of their income came from the Duchy of Cornwall, while the other 5% came from the taxpayer-funded Sovereign Grant.