Honey is a naturally sweet syrup that needs no introduction. The process of honey-making is quite simple to understand, bees collect nectars from various flowers and plants, take them back to their hive and regurgitate them. The honey is later deposited into tiny hexagonal wax compartments within the hive, which are called honeycombs.
Countless varieties of honey depend on the color, taste and smell, and the type of flower it has been made from. The most famous of these include raw honey which is sold directly after being collected from the hive and goes through little to no processing. Raw honey contains an average amount of 80% sugar with traces of yeast, pollen, and wax. History notes that this type of honey has been extensively used as a folk remedy in hospitals to treat wounds and cure sickness. The processed honey is called pasteurized honey that we see in stores and have in store in our pantries.
Benefits of consuming honey:
Modern science has been quite successful in unveiling the benefits honey has. Honey has been used for various purposes such as:
- As a healthy nutrient supplier: Honey contains zero fats, traces of protein and fiber, healthy amounts of calories and carbs along with pure and organic sugar that contains riboflavin and copper. It promotes good health in a human being.
- As an energy booster: Honey is another name for a natural sweetener that regulates more amounts of energy than energy drinks or caffeine. Natural sugars are good for exercising and improving athletic performance by maintaining your muscles. Furthermore, it also prevents fatigue and muscle stiffness.
- Helps to heal burns: Honey contains a high concentration of glucose and fructose that act as a natural cure for wounds and burns. The natural properties also act as an antibiotic and protect your wounds from infections.
- For weight loss: Combining honey with lukewarm water is the perfect remedy for cutting down excessive fats in your body without affecting your appetite and hunger. Drinking it before bed is great for burning fat during sleep and helps you get a night of better sleep.
- To relieve cough: While cough medications and their side effects are well known and acknowledged by doctors and patients, replacing medications with honey is a much more effective treatment option. The antimicrobial and antibacterial properties soothe throats and kill the bacteria that caused the infection. Additionally, ingesting honey has no side effects on your health.
- Improves your skin: The sugar contents in honey are also great as a body moisturizer and give your skin a natural glow. It removes all dry and dead skin cells by producing new ones to replace those dead patches. Many beauty products manufacturing companies and brands sell honey as a scrub to exfoliate your skin and nourish your skin with water. It also softens your skin and acts as an anti-inflammatory after the exfoliation.
Other than all these benefits, it is quite easy to add honey into your everyday diets such as using it as a sweetener in coffees or teas or even while baking or cooking!